The Rise of Manchester Chinatown
Between 1773 and 1801, the population of Manchester quadrupled in size from 22,500 to 84,000 inhabitants as people flooded in from rural areas, as well as from countries abroad, such as Ireland, looking for work and a better way of life. What greeted them in Manchester city centre was a filthy slum with poor housing and terrible conditions for workers. In 1857 the area now known as Chinatown was described as a slum area. In 1915 T. F. Tout described the Scientific and Medical Society (later to become Owens College Medical School) on Faulkner Street as being located in 'a squalid and noisy slum'.
Origins of Chinatown
Chinatown Manchester covers an area south of the city centre bordered by Charlotte Street, Mosley Street, Portland Street and Princess Street. The area was first built in 1786 around the church of St. James, and streets were named after royal members, e.g. Queen Charlotte and King George 3rd. In the eighteenth century, many prestigious buildings were located in this area, namely the Literary and Philosophical Society on George Street and the Scientific and Medical Society (later to become Owens College Medical School) on Faulkner Street.
This trend continued into the nineteenth century with the opening of the Portico Library in 1806 and the Royal Manchester Institution (now the City Art Gallery) in 1835, both on Mosley Street and the Athenaeum on Princess Street in 1837.
The buildings in Chinatown are predominantly old cotton warehouses from the 19th century which became vacant following the Cotton Famine in the 1860s, which the American Civil War brought about.
The empty buildings were cheap to rent or buy and became part of the developing city, used in various ways, such as shops and offices. Chinatown developed from the original Chinese restaurants, which moved into empty premises in the area in the 1970s and came about as the number of Chinese businesses increased greatly to serve the growing Chinese community.
A succession of restaurants opened from the late 50s to the mid-1970s, namely Mogambo Cafe (late 50s), Hong Kong Cafe (1960s), Kwok Man, which was established by Lai Kim Fat (1960s), Sun Ho (1966), Charlie Chan's (1972) and Yang Sing (1977). Of these, Kwok Man and Yang Sing are still open today.
在1773年至1801年间，由于乡下人和爱尔兰等国的移民涌至曼城找工作，曼城的人口增长了四倍，从原来的22500增长到84000。1915年，T. F. Tout 描述了今天的唐人街一带，认为该地区是一个杂乱无章、乌烟瘴气的贫民窟。
从2004年开始，最受欢迎的杂志就是 William Ong的唐人街杂志，它专门描述了英国西北部地区华人生活的点点滴滴。